17 juli 2013

DIY | Silhouette


This empty wall above my bed has been bothering me for months! I tried to think of something fun to fill the blankness, but failed again and again. This week I had a lightbulb moment: for my parents wedding anniversary a couple of years ago, I made silhouettes of our family as a present. Why not make some more to put on my wall? So I took some pictures of my beloved homie and went to work. When I did this for my parents, I encountered some difficulties. This time, being older thus wiser, I perfected my methods. I hope you enjoy this tutorial and make some of your own!
Supplies needed:
Picture of the profile of the person you want to make a silhouette of (on your computerscreen).
Pencil.
Tracingpaper (plain old printerpaper might work too if it isn't too thick).
Scissors.
Paper in whatever colour you like. The colour of the paper will either be the background of your silhouette, or the colour of the silhouette itself. More on that later.

When you are taking you pictures, make sure the contours of the face are very visible. Backlight (tegenlicht) is your best friend in this case! You can tweak your pictures on the computer to make the contrast between dark and light even bigger.
Trace the silhouette from your computerscreen with the white/ tracingpaper. Here you can decide how big the silhouette will be. Remember: the bigger the silhouette, the easier it will be to cut out. You could skip this step and trace the silhouette directly on the coloured paper if you like. I like to do it this way, because it always takes me a couple of tries to get it right!
Tape your silhouette against a window and trace it again, but this time on your final paper. Now it's time to make a choice. If you don't like to cut your silhouette, you can choose to colour the silhouette with another colour paint, ink or pencil. This is great for smaller sizes, because those are near impossible to cut neatly (at least for me).
That is the method I used the firt time, I traced them on white paper and filled them in with black ink. They look exactly like 'classic' silhouettes. Yep, this is an oooold picture.
If you have a bigger sized silhouette and want to cut it: great! I can't really give you any tips except for: be careful and don't rush it. 
Add some finishing touches, like a background, a frame, perhaps some text or a little heart to make it even more personal and you're done! These would make the best gifts in my opinion, but I'm going to keep this one for myself.
I'll keep you updated on my wall-progress!
♥ Lonneke

2 opmerkingen:

  1. That's the cutest! I'll totally do some to decorate my bedroom *-* thank you for sharing this.. It's perfect! <3

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
    Reacties
    1. That's great! Let me know how it turned out! :) x

      Verwijderen